[H-GEN] Memory issues

Greg Black gjb at yaxom.com
Mon Jun 18 23:20:36 UTC 2018

On 19 June 2018 at 08:08, Steve McLevie <swmcl at internode.on.net> wrote:

> The memory issues are resolved it seems.

Good news.

> The graphical installer makes no mention of any memory failure
> and only speaks of a failed source disk.  This is why I've been so
> confused because I've checked the disks so many times !!  My experiences
> with computers has not seen a memory problem for many years so it didn't
> occur to me that there might be one.  I am not surprised there is a
> deficiency in the installer either unfortunately.

It's not really a fault of the installer -- once memory is faulty, the
installer really has no way of knowing where the problem lies.
Reporting a faulty disk is reasonable (although obviously completely
unhelpful) in this case, because that's what it looks like. That's why
we go for memory as the culprit in the face of bizarre behaviour like
this.

Greg