No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

>From suter  Mon Sep 17 19:30:57 2001
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 19:05:35 +1000
To: general at lists.humbug.org.au
From: Sandra Milne <silne at optushome.com.au>
Subject: [H-GEN] freesco
Sender: owner-general at lists.humbug.org.au

I've been experimenting with floppy distributions of linux so that if i
don't like what i see or if i can't get it to work i can always go back to
booting my previous OS. I found that freesco set up reasonably painlessly,
but i couldn't get it to obtain an IP address from the optus at home dhcp
server. I've set up the computer name to be the one assigned me by o at h, and
i've set up the network cards as best i can given that i'm not actually
asked which modules belong to which card. It doesn't give me an error on
boot saying no cards detected.

I have a pci card and an isa card, which one would intuitively be the
first? I normally use the pci card as the connection to the cable modem (as
it's the one that travels best between machines, being plugNpray), so i
assumed that to be eth0 and set irq and io to 0 meaning to autoprobe. I
then put in the parameters of my isa card (irq=10 and io=0x240).

Unfortunately after doing all this, setting it up to use dhcp on eth0 and
rebooting the machine, it halts on obtaining an IP from the server.
"Waiting for DHCPOFFER" is what it says.

Have I done something wrong? Does anyone have any experience with setting
up and using freesco and could tell me how to do this?

I considered trying LRP but when reading the readme it just looks to be too
much work for a floppy distribution.

All help gladly appreciated. If I can't get it going by the next meeting
I'll be dragging the box with me to perhaps get some help in person.

Sandra.

silne at optushome.com.au
ICQ: 7632763