[H-GEN] new nvidia driver problem

Peter Robinson pjr at itee.uq.edu.au
Sun Apr 14 21:21:24 EDT 2013

On 15/04/13 11:10, Daniel Devine wrote:

> Nouveau works pretty well (for lightweight 3D at least) so it is a
> possible solution however Nouveau's support for power/fan control is
> basically non-existent so it *might* make your laptop loud and
> inefficient.
>
> Is 1600x900 your laptop's native resolution? I know some people change
> the resolution of their screen to make the interface/text bigger or
> smaller - this is not really a good idea because fuzzy screens are not
> nice, and you get less screen real-estate.
>
> If it is a text readability issue being the reason you want the
> non-native resolution, try playing with the font size settings for
> your desktop environment instead (and browser, if it does not
> automatically respect your DE preferences). Unlike Windows, resizing
> things tends to work well in the DE's I've tried it in under Linux. I
> haven't tried this with Unity.

It's not that - we have a lecture recording system that requires
1024x768 for the data projector and I have my laptop screen as a clone
and it's useful to have the same resolution so that what I see on my
laptop is the same as what the class sees on the data project (and what
is recorded). That's the only situation where I need it but it's
annoying not to have that facility.

I am reluctant to swap drivers in the middle of the semester (or install
13.04 when it comes out) as I won't have time to recover from problems).
I usually leave such changes till the end of semester.