[H-GEN] MacBook booting problems

Johann Kwiatkowski johann at spot-the-dog.com
Fri Feb 25 08:22:44 EST 2011

On 25/02/2011, at 11:10 PM, Gavin Duley wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 23:00, Johann Kwiatkowski
> <johann at spot-the-dog.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the suggestion. This certainly did something, but nothing
>>> really helpful -- on boot, the hard disc spins down after a minute or
>>> so and I now do get a blinking icon of a folder with a question mark.
>>
>> that would mean there is an issue with the hard disk, so the laptop
>> itself should still be fine. You should now be able to boot from the
>> install disc, and from there run the disk utility to check the hard drive.
>> Its basic though. Some mac install disks do come with tech tools as well.
>
> It should be simple. I've done this before, when I've had hard disc
> problems in the past (with the old, 80GB hdd that Apple supplied with
> the machine -- I replaced it with a larger disc a while ago).
>
> Unfortunately the built-in DVD drive isn't working, hence I was
> looking for another way to boot the machine, maybe from a USB drive or
> from an external DVD drive. Someone suggested off-list that I could
> buy a replacement DVD drive off eBay, so I may well do this. I assume
> I'll need a new hard disc, from the rather unhealthy noises the
> current one is making.

Two other  possible options:

 if you have another current mac available is that you can share the dvd player on that for installation on another mac. I know it works for the macbook air

or you can attached another mac directly by firewire and boot it into target disk mode, and you can access the dvd of the second machine.
but in both cases you need a spare mac.

I've also used carbon copy cloner to back up an OS X system to a usb stick and boot from it, not too hard, but I think you'll need at least an 8 gig stick.

> Also, it just occured to me that whilst I did try using a firewire CD
> drive to boot from the Snow Leopard disc, there is no way this could
> have worked. The Snow Leopard disc is a DVD, so it is not surprising
> that the CD drive could not read it. Not sure why I didn't think of
> that one earlier. I might try burning the Ubuntu CD and see if I can
> boot from that.
>
> gavin,
>
> --
> Honestly, if you're given the choice between Armageddon or tea, you
> don't say 'What kind of tea?'
>                -- Neil Gaiman
>
> Gavin Duley
> <gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>