[H-GEN] MacBook booting problems

Gavin Duley gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au
Fri Feb 25 17:10:05 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 23:22, Johann Kwiatkowski
<johann at spot-the-dog.com> wrote:
> On 25/02/2011, at 11:10 PM, Gavin Duley wrote:
>> Unfortunately the built-in DVD drive isn't working, hence I was
>> looking for another way to boot the machine, maybe from a USB drive or
>> from an external DVD drive. Someone suggested off-list that I could
>> buy a replacement DVD drive off eBay, so I may well do this. I assume
>> I'll need a new hard disc, from the rather unhealthy noises the
>> current one is making.
>
> Two other  possible options:
>  if you have another current mac available is that you can share the
> dvd player on that for installation on another mac. I know it works for
> the macbook air or you can attached another mac directly by firewire
> and boot it into target disk mode, and you can access the dvd of
> the second machine.
> but in both cases you need a spare mac.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, this is the only mac I have.

> I've also used carbon copy cloner to back up an OS X system to a
> usb stick and boot from it, not too hard, but I think you'll need at
> least an 8 gig stick.

It looks like this requires another mac, too. Carbon Copy Cloner looks
like it would be worth trying out, if I keep using OS X on that
machine.

Thanks,

gavin,

--
Honestly, if you're given the choice between Armageddon or tea, you
don't say 'What kind of tea?'

Gavin Duley
<gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>
WWW: http://www.gavinduley.org/