[H-GEN] MacBook booting problems

Gavin Duley gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au
Fri Feb 25 08:10:36 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 23:00, Johann Kwiatkowski
<johann at spot-the-dog.com> wrote:
> On 25/02/2011, at 9:32 PM, Gavin Duley wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 21:16, Johann Kwiatkowski <johann at spot-the-dog.com> wrote:
>>
>>> it may not be the hard drive, if its the hard drive it should boot and
>>> eventually come to a folder icon with a blinking question mark.
>>> You could try reseting the pram
>>>
>>> howto here
>>> http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
>>>
>>> I have had success before, but you mileage may vary
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. This certainly did something, but nothing
>> really helpful -- on boot, the hard disc spins down after a minute or
>> so and I now do get a blinking icon of a folder with a question mark.
>
> that would mean there is an issue with the hard disk, so the laptop
> itself should still be fine. You should now be able to boot from the
> install disc, and from there run the disk utility to check the hard drive.
> Its basic though. Some mac install disks do come with tech tools as well.

It should be simple. I've done this before, when I've had hard disc
problems in the past (with the old, 80GB hdd that Apple supplied with
the machine -- I replaced it with a larger disc a while ago).

Unfortunately the built-in DVD drive isn't working, hence I was
looking for another way to boot the machine, maybe from a USB drive or
from an external DVD drive. Someone suggested off-list that I could
buy a replacement DVD drive off eBay, so I may well do this. I assume
I'll need a new hard disc, from the rather unhealthy noises the
current one is making.

Also, it just occured to me that whilst I did try using a firewire CD
drive to boot from the Snow Leopard disc, there is no way this could
have worked. The Snow Leopard disc is a DVD, so it is not surprising
that the CD drive could not read it. Not sure why I didn't think of
that one earlier. I might try burning the Ubuntu CD and see if I can
boot from that.

gavin,

--
Honestly, if you're given the choice between Armageddon or tea, you
don't say 'What kind of tea?'

Gavin Duley
<gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>
WWW: http://www.gavinduley.org/