[H-GEN] MacBook booting problems

Gavin Duley gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au
Fri Feb 25 06:32:04 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 21:16, Johann Kwiatkowski
<johann at spot-the-dog.com> wrote:

> it may not be the hard drive, if its the hard drive it should boot and
> eventually come to a folder icon with a blinking question mark.
> You could try reseting the pram
>
> howto here
> http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
> I have had success before, but you mileage may vary

Thanks for the suggestion. This certainly did something, but nothing
really helpful -- on boot, the hard disc spins down after a minute or
so and I now do get a blinking icon of a folder with a question mark.

> I've found rsync pretty good for backups and easier to manage than time machine

Not sure why I hadn't though of using rsync... I'll look into setting
it up, once my computer (this one, or in the worst case scenario, its
replacement) is up and running.

Also solves the query "what should I use instead of Time Machine if I
move to Linux?" ;-)

thanks,

gavin,

--
Honestly, if you're given the choice between Armageddon or tea, you
don't say 'What kind of tea?'

Gavin Duley
<gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>
WWW: http://www.gavinduley.org/