[H-GEN] MacBook booting problems

Johann Kwiatkowski johann at spot-the-dog.com
Fri Feb 25 06:16:39 EST 2011

On 25/02/2011, at 5:54 PM, Gavin Duley wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 17:43, Greg Black <gjb at yaxom.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 17:25, Gavin Duley
>> <gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> I currently have a dead MacBook. [...]
>>
>> Judging from what you describe, I'd say the smart thing would be to
>> get as much fun as you can from clubbing it to death with a heavy
>> blunt object or an axe or whatever floats your boat. Then buy
>> something new (and therefore more reliable) to run Linux on.  Lenovo
>> are having specials at present and you can get something pretty good
>> for not much money.

it may not be the hard drive, if its the hard drive it should boot and eventually come to a folder icon with a blinking question mark. You could try reseting the pram

howto here

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

I have had success before, but you mileage may vary

> I'm hoping to avoid doing that, but I guess it may become unavoidable.
> I think I'll probably have to wait a month or so before I can afford a
> new laptop, however cheap, unfortunately.
>
>> Try
>>
>> http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/auweb/LenovoPortal/en_AU/builder.workflow:Enter?sb=:000000AD:00000355:&smid=DC128DD55E1E4590825C5113D0442892#
>>
>> It's a horrible URL, but has some good deals.
>
> It would not win any beauty contents, no. That is a very good
> discount, though, thanks for the link. I assume this is some sort of
> sale that Lenovo is having at the moment?
>
>> Greg
>>
>> PS: Restoring from Time Machine is not a reliable way to go, just in
>> case you haven't yet had that pain. I certainly won't ever use Time
>> Machine again, except as an example of how not to do things.
>
> I've restored backups from Time Machine backups in the past, once when
> I first got the machine (using a backup of my files from my old iBook,
> to copy my files across), and then another two times when the old hard
> disc the machine shipped with died, came back to life and then died
> again. It worked flawlessly for me every time, though maybe I've just
> been lucky...

I've found rsync pretty good for backups and easier to manage than time machine

regards

Johann

> Thanks,
>
> gavin,
>
> --
> Honestly, if you're given the choice between Armageddon or tea, you
> don't say 'What kind of tea?'
>                -- Neil Gaiman
>
> Gavin Duley
> <gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>