[H-GEN] MacBook booting problems

Gavin Duley gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au
Fri Feb 25 02:54:02 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 17:43, Greg Black <gjb at yaxom.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 17:25, Gavin Duley
> <gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> I currently have a dead MacBook. [...]
>
> Judging from what you describe, I'd say the smart thing would be to
> get as much fun as you can from clubbing it to death with a heavy
> blunt object or an axe or whatever floats your boat. Then buy
> something new (and therefore more reliable) to run Linux on.  Lenovo
> are having specials at present and you can get something pretty good
> for not much money.

I'm hoping to avoid doing that, but I guess it may become unavoidable.
I think I'll probably have to wait a month or so before I can afford a
new laptop, however cheap, unfortunately.

> Try
>
> http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/auweb/LenovoPortal/en_AU/builder.workflow:Enter?sb=:000000AD:00000355:&smid=DC128DD55E1E4590825C5113D0442892#
>
> It's a horrible URL, but has some good deals.

It would not win any beauty contents, no. That is a very good
discount, though, thanks for the link. I assume this is some sort of
sale that Lenovo is having at the moment?

> Greg
>
> PS: Restoring from Time Machine is not a reliable way to go, just in
> case you haven't yet had that pain. I certainly won't ever use Time
> Machine again, except as an example of how not to do things.

I've restored backups from Time Machine backups in the past, once when
I first got the machine (using a backup of my files from my old iBook,
to copy my files across), and then another two times when the old hard
disc the machine shipped with died, came back to life and then died
again. It worked flawlessly for me every time, though maybe I've just
been lucky...

Thanks,

gavin,

--
Honestly, if you're given the choice between Armageddon or tea, you
don't say 'What kind of tea?'

Gavin Duley
<gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>
WWW: http://www.gavinduley.org/