[H-GEN] HP DL380 G3

gavin duley gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au
Tue Feb 8 23:09:58 EST 2011

On 9 Feb 2011, at 13:36, Daniel Devine wrote:

> No worries, I'll just see what pops up. I would have trouble transporting it to HUMBUG personally because I don't have a vehicle but that's just a minor thing we can sort out.

Okay. I'm sure we could arrange something if necessary. The big problem might be:

On 9 Feb 2011, at 13:41, Arjen Lentz wrote:

> Being a rack box, you generally don't want it in your home.
> Serious noise is a key factor, followed by power consumption (older rack boxes tend to eat lots) and you can probably come up with a few more reasons of why having these suckers at home is not a brilliant idea.
>
> Note that I speak from experience. I briefly had a couple of IBM x346 servers at my home office for testing and configuration before shipping them off to a local datacenter. Starting even one was like jet engines during take-off (not surprising, 14 fans in each box).
> So that was a temporary necessity - let not your joy for geek indulgence win in this case ;-)

Good point. I have to admit it's not one I'd thought of. It's something I'd certainly enjoy fiddling with, but I don't think having a jet engine running at home here would win me many friends :-)

Putting it in a datacenter would probably be the best option. I'd certainly still have uses for it even if it had to live in a datacenter, except that my budget does *not* stretch to paying for server colocation :-(

Hope you find a good home for it.

gavin,

--
Honestly, if you're given the choice between Armageddon or tea, you don't say 'What kind of tea?'
		-- Neil Gaiman

Gavin Duley
<gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>
WWW: http://www.gavinduley.org/