[H-GEN] HP DL380 G3

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Tue Feb 8 22:41:10 EST 2011

Hi Gavin

> it'd just be something fun for me to mess around with.
> I'd probably set it up as a home server.

> [...]
> It does sound like a very nice machine.

Being a rack box, you generally don't want it in your home.
Serious noise is a key factor, followed by power consumption (older rack boxes tend to eat lots) and you can probably come up with a few more reasons of why having these suckers at home is not a brilliant idea.

Note that I speak from experience. I briefly had a couple of IBM x346 servers at my home office for testing and configuration before shipping them off to a local datacenter. Starting even one was like jet engines during take-off (not surprising, 14 fans in each box).
So that was a temporary necessity - let not your joy for geek indulgence win in this case ;-)

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Remote expertise & maintenance for MySQL/MariaDB server environments.

Follow us at http://openquery.com/blog/ & http://twitter.com/openquery