[H-GEN] Configuring HUMBUGs ancient WiFi AP.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 18:05:31 EDT 2011

I ended up keeping the ancient HUMBUG WiFi AP and actually using it.
It was part of the ancient network equipment that was decided to be
handed out to HUMBUG members on a first come first served basis at a
meeting.  Since it had all spent years sitting in my kitchen, I got
first dibs on it.  Only just had a need for one very recently.

It's a ZoomAir AP11.  I had found the manual on the 'net.  I had not
found much else about it there.

Certainly no mention of the bridge mode that it was left in by whatever
HUMBUG member last configured it.  Being in bridge mode, it's
transparent to my network, so I've not been able to bring up the
internal web pages used to configure it.

There is a serial port on the back for a console, but being a non
standard serial connector, and given how non standard RS232 is to start
with, I got no idea where to find a suitable cable to use that.  Though
I guess some HUMBUG member somewhere had that once in order to
configure it?

There is no obvious reset button on the outside, but maybe there is one
if I pull it apart.  So no way to get it back to factory defaults.  And
no way for me to configure it.  I'm surprised it managed to keep the
old HUMBUG configuration after all that time.

I really need to change the channel it uses.  A nearby WiFi AP is using
the same channel, and badly interfering.  I'd love to keep it in bridge
mode after changing the channel, though as bridge mode is not mentioned
anywhere in the manual, I'm loathe to just reset it.

Does any HUMBUG member recall the method used to configure the box in
the past?  Got the console cable?  Can help in any way?