[H-GEN] Configuring HUMBUGs ancient WiFi AP.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 20:43:40 EDT 2011

Bruce Campbell replied privately, wondering what sort of serial
connector it is.  It is indeed an RJ45 as he guessed.  He suggests that
a Sun cable might work if that is the case.  I have no such cable.

The manual says that a RJ45 to RJ45 cable came with it, and that I
would have to supply my own adapter.  In this case, to the usual DB9
serial socket that has been popular on desktop computers lately.

Someone at some stage during it's life at HUMBUG must have reconfigured
it somehow.  After all, it's SSID is "humbug".  I'm hoping someone will
remember, and if I'm lucky will say "Ah, I have the original console
cable".  Otherwise I'm just guessing.

I did pull it apart, no sign of a battery or any reset method.

In theory, the Telstra South Brisbane fibre cut-over should be done in
my area by the end of next month.  In theory this means I get a free
WiFi AP, and I'll start using that instead.  So I'm just trying to see
if I can get this old AP working a bit better, with little effort.
Otherwise I'll just limp along with it as it is.

In practice, I'm not with Telstra right now, and from what I can see on
whirlpool, the other ISPs are not getting anywhere in their efforts to
get access to this fibre.  No idea what will actually happen until
Telstra actually do it.  If all else fails, I'll buy a new WiFi AP in a
couple of months.  No point doing so now if Telstra has a chance of
throwing a free one at me soon.