[H-GEN] Fwd: Update of "Exec/Minutes/20090919" by RaymondSmith

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Wed Sep 16 21:09:15 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 10:47 +1000, Raymond Smith wrote:
> Is this a recent change in policy?

Yeah, I guess it does.  My apologies for that.  I agree I have done a
180 backflip from what I said to you.  Since then, the agenda of the
Exec has turned into some sort of football, seeing more changes that a
Wikipedia entry on Paris Hilton.  Perhaps once it all settles down we
can return to the more open policy I thought would work.

> > Ray, I have changed the agenda to say I will raise the discussion point
> > on your behalf.  Personally, I think this is something the SysAdmins,
> > lead by the SysAdmin god (librarian), should sort out themselves.
> > Assuming the SysAdmin list is open, anyone can join in the discussion.
> > I'd rather not tie up Exec meeting with the minutiae of SysAdmining a
> > server.

> Russell, you have completely missed the point of my agenda item.

Probably - but it was only one sentence.  If you want to ensure I get
the point, send a longer email to general outlining your thoughts, and
ending with concrete motions we can vote on at the Exec meeting.  That
way everybody can have at least spent a night sleeping on it before they
have to vote.

Just to reiterate: I don't see the meeting as an venue for discussion.
Although some discussion is inevitable, the Exec meeting is a place to
make decisions.  The ideas and discussions should be on the table before
the meeting takes place.  If you want to discuss things, corner the
people at a regular meeting.  The the more we do of that at regular
meetings the better.