[H-GEN] Looking for a linux laptop

QuarkAV.com - Hilton Travis hilton at quarkav.com
Mon May 25 16:23:36 EDT 2009

On 2009-05-25 21:07, David Seikel wrote:
> I might be going on a business trip soon, and will need a laptop.
> Pretty much just need something roughly the equivalent of my current
> desktop, which is a few years old.  I don''t want to spend a fortune,
> with the sort of specs I need, something cheap will probably work.
>
> The critical application as Second Life, if it can run that well, it
> can run everything else that I need to.  There will be lots of C and
> C++ development to.  Ubuntu is what I use now, current version.
> Probably not fussy about the linux distro, but it will be minimal work
> to just duplicate what I got now, then tweak it for the laptop.
>
> Rough minimum specs that are needed are -
>
> Same or faster CPU than my desktops 32 bit AMD Athlon XP 3000+.  Second
> Life has no 64 bit version, dunno how hard it is to run on a 64 bit
> CPU.  It's likely that a 1.6 GHz dual core or better will work.
>
> 1 GB RAM, though 2 would be better.
>
> 80 GB of HD.  Again, the more the merrier.
>
> Same or better graphics than my desktop, which is an ancient nVidia
> gForce 4.  Second Life supports nVidia better, so that is my preference.
>
> 1024x768 screen, more would be good.
>
> 3 x USB 2.0 ports.
>
> Good WiFi, for connecting to hotspots as I travel.
>
> Power supply that can handle Australian, European, and USA power.
> Maybe Brazilian as well.
>
> I do not care about the keyboard or typical laptop poor mouse
> substitute, as I will plug in a real keyboard and mouse.  Never found a
> laptop keyboard that I liked, they all suck.
>
> Fairly simple requirements really.  Searching the 'net turns up heaps
> that would be suitable, so I'm asking those of you with experience to
> help me choose what would suit me best.  Way too many to wade through.
> lol

G'day David,

We just sold one of these to the father in law of one of our guys:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/au/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-3744201-3834833.html
(with an extended HP warranty) which should suit your needs.

Also, can I ask how you actually use Second Life.  I keep hearing people
claim it can be a business tool, but to date no-one has managed to back
that up with actual reasons.  I'd *really* like to know how this can be
beneficial from a business point of view.

Regards,

HiltonT