[H-GEN] Looking for a linux laptop

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon May 25 07:07:05 EDT 2009

I might be going on a business trip soon, and will need a laptop.
Pretty much just need something roughly the equivalent of my current
desktop, which is a few years old.  I don''t want to spend a fortune,
with the sort of specs I need, something cheap will probably work.

The critical application as Second Life, if it can run that well, it
can run everything else that I need to.  There will be lots of C and
C++ development to.  Ubuntu is what I use now, current version.
Probably not fussy about the linux distro, but it will be minimal work
to just duplicate what I got now, then tweak it for the laptop.

Rough minimum specs that are needed are -

Same or faster CPU than my desktops 32 bit AMD Athlon XP 3000+.  Second
Life has no 64 bit version, dunno how hard it is to run on a 64 bit
CPU.  It's likely that a 1.6 GHz dual core or better will work.

1 GB RAM, though 2 would be better.

80 GB of HD.  Again, the more the merrier.

Same or better graphics than my desktop, which is an ancient nVidia
gForce 4.  Second Life supports nVidia better, so that is my preference.

1024x768 screen, more would be good.

3 x USB 2.0 ports.

Good WiFi, for connecting to hotspots as I travel.

Power supply that can handle Australian, European, and USA power.
Maybe Brazilian as well.

I do not care about the keyboard or typical laptop poor mouse
substitute, as I will plug in a real keyboard and mouse.  Never found a
laptop keyboard that I liked, they all suck.

Fairly simple requirements really.  Searching the 'net turns up heaps
that would be suitable, so I'm asking those of you with experience to
help me choose what would suit me best.  Way too many to wade through.
lol