[H-GEN] Looking for a linux laptop

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon May 25 20:17:21 EDT 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009 06:23:36 +1000 "QuarkAV.com - Hilton Travis"
<hilton at quarkav.com> wrote:

> On 2009-05-25 21:07, David Seikel wrote:
> > I might be going on a business trip soon, and will need a laptop.
> > Pretty much just need something roughly the equivalent of my current
> > desktop, which is a few years old.  I don''t want to spend a
> > fortune, with the sort of specs I need, something cheap will
> > probably work.
> >
> > The critical application as Second Life, if it can run that well, it
> > can run everything else that I need to.  There will be lots of C and
> > C++ development to.  Ubuntu is what I use now, current version.
> > Probably not fussy about the linux distro, but it will be minimal
> > work to just duplicate what I got now, then tweak it for the laptop.
> >

> We just sold one of these to the father in law of one of our guys:
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/au/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-3744201-3834833.html
> (with an extended HP warranty) which should suit your needs.

I'll check it out, what price are you selling them for?

> Also, can I ask how you actually use Second Life.  I keep hearing
> people claim it can be a business tool, but to date no-one has
> managed to back that up with actual reasons.  I'd *really* like to
> know how this can be beneficial from a business point of view.

While the details are covered by an NDA, I can say that we will be
building Second Life places under contract for whatever purposes the
clients require.  So the business in this case is roughly the equivalent
of building web sites for money.