[H-GEN] The first LCA Bid discussion: where do we have it?

Nemo wombat at nemo.house.cx
Mon Jun 1 20:37:57 EDT 2009

> > I have limited time to read my email. I'm not particularly interested in
> > the LCA bid. I would prefer the discussion was taken to a different list, to
> > which those interested could subscribe.
> >
> After the flood of emails in the past day, I'm in agreement. I have never
> attended an LCA (in fact, I've been to one conference ever, and that was as
> a student about 8 years ago) and given that I am flat out with three kids
> I'm not going to be attending this one. I don't get to HUMBUG meetings for
> the same reason and thus I'm not a paid member. If the rest of the club
> wants the mail on general that's fine, but I'll probably end up leaving the
> list if the volume of mail remains this high.

"flood"?  "this high"  ?

Forgive my intrusion - I'm a new-to-Brisbane, as-yet unpaid member, etc,
so I'm well aware my opinion has no currency - but from my familiarity
with the canberra linux users group (CLUG), this traffic is
unexpectantly low. All my mailing list subscriptions are automatically
sorted for me (including new subscriptions with no additional effort.
I <4 procmail), so a rush of mail to one list doesn't intrude my normal
email habits until I go looking for that list deliberately.

my thoughts re: seperate lists... my first impression with humbug so far
has been 'why are there so many lists in the first place?!'. I looked on
the site for a 'sign me up to everything, thanks', but there seemed to
be nothing. I honestly think that any lists that can't sustain a posting
rate of, let's say one message a day average - should be merged. If
nothing else, the web archives of the lists should be updated so anyone
curious about which to join can see that there has been traffic since
2007. :P

For all that bluster aside, I agree that LCA bid *should* be a seperate
list. It's a specific task that is not "general". I would suggest that
regular cross-post updates/summaries to general be made though. My
memory of Canberra's LCA bid a few years ago was that it occured almost
without note within the CLUG list, and I think many members all but
forgot it was on :/

keep happy...
.../Nemo