[H-GEN] Postfix, etc., and spam filtering

Troy Piggins troy at piggo.com
Tue Jul 7 20:46:40 EDT 2009

* Greg Black wrote :

> Asking a question here worked for Gaz, so maybe it will work for
> me too ...
>
> Last time I checked, Postfix did not offer a mechanism to scan
> incoming messages with an external spam filter during the SMTP
> conversation (i.e., at the end of the DATA phase), but only at
> subsequent phases (i.e., after having accepted the message in
> the SMTP conversation).
>
> If you know for a fact that this glaring weakness has been
> corrected, I would greatly appreciate a gentle (or not so
> gentle, as you prefer) nudge in the direction of the relevant
> part of the relevant FM.
>
> Alternatively, if you know for a fact that some other MTA has
> such a capability, I'd appreciate its name and the same hint
> about where to read the FM.
>
> I'm really hoping somebody can point me to such a thing, as my
> only other option is write an MTA, and that would be a boring
> and tedious effort.
>
> With apologies to anybody who is puzzled by any of the acronyms
> or technical bits.

As others have mentioned, postfix can do it.  I use amavisd-new in
conjunction with postfix, postgrey (greylisting), spamassassin, and
clamav.  http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/
Packages for Ubuntu/Debian, and I'm sure RH and other distros too.
It's pretty popular.

Postgrey (specifically written for postfix) or some other form of
greylisting will also heavily reduce the amount of spam you receive.
Great in conjunction with the above.  http://postgrey.schweikert.ch/

--
Troy Piggins