[H-GEN] Postfix, etc., and spam filtering

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Mon Jul 6 20:21:41 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 10:04 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> Alternatively, if you know for a fact that some other MTA has
> such a capability, I'd appreciate its name and the same hint
> about where to read the FM.

Exim can do this.  In fact I do it.  I never send bounce messages.
Every email is either rejected to SMTP time, or accepted.  This is not
something you could get away with on a heavily loaded SMTP server, but
for an organisation like the one I work for with 300 employees it is
fine.

The package is called Exim4 on Debian.  It is the SMTP server Debian
will install by default.

Exim has a learning curve, but its nothing compared to Sendmail and its
far more flexible than sendmail.  It also has by far the best
documentation of any SMTP server I have used, provided you have the
patience to read it all.  In comparison with Postfix Exim is far more
powerful, but you pay for it in complexity.

Home page: http://www.exim.org/  From there the path to documentation is
obvious.