[H-GEN] Postfix, etc., and spam filtering

Res res at ausics.net
Mon Jul 6 20:24:21 EDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Greg Black wrote:

> Asking a question here worked for Gaz, so maybe it will work for
> me too ...
>
> Last time I checked, Postfix did not offer a mechanism to scan
> incoming messages with an external spam filter during the SMTP
> conversation (i.e., at the end of the DATA phase), but only at
> subsequent phases (i.e., after having accepted the message in
> the SMTP conversation).

Although I prefer to do it the other way (what's it really matter you need
to accept the message in full regardless to spam/virus test it), and I've
never seen a spam engine yet that honours a 55x, so I tag low score and
discard high scored with MailScanner.  However, that said, you want to
stop it in the initial session, and this can be accomplished by sendmail
milters in Postfix, I have used with great success in the past smf-spamd
(utilising spamd in spamassassin). I know of people using MIMEDefang that
do the same.

--
Res

-Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers