[H-GEN] Room Bookings Update

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Wed Jan 14 19:48:48 EST 2009

Hi Dennis

On 15/01/2009, at 10:23 AM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> i think in the world of livecds its really easy to grab a few and
> try some
> different ones.

It is, but it's also irrelevant. They start, and present a desktop.
To a non-geek, it looks just like what they have now: a desktop, a
taskbar, some icons.
Thus, it serves no purpose.

> Alot of FOSS is about choice.

People have an inbuilt aversion to change.
Choice implies differences, and thus more change.
You want people to change from Windows, AND choose other differences
on top of that.
Thus you're battling human nature. We should really stop doing that,
it's not productive.

Pushing someone harder (or making them make more choices) about
something they fundamentally don't care about is really a waste of
time, and often has adverse results.
I am all for software freedom, but I do not push it when I talk with a
client. For them it's generally a choice of practical features,
overall pricing (including support), and sometimes strategic. Later,
when they've been using the OSS stuff for a while, you can bring up
some other aspects.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com.au)
MySQL Training from $475/day, DBA/Support from $249/month

My blog is at http://arjen-lentz.livejournal.com
OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org