[H-GEN] Room Bookings Update

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Wed Jan 14 02:07:16 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Robert Brockway
<robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Russell Stuart wrote:
>> Which illustrates the problem really.  Where do you promote
>> yourself?  I am having trouble thinking up places to look.
>> It seems odd.  We effectively offer the time of computer
>> experts free, and hand out software for free, yet I can't
>> think of a place that we can promote this.
>>
>> If someone is willing to float ideas from Canada, I am willing
>> to be the gofer that tries to implement them.
>
> The idea of hitting lectures has been floated before.  Go into big CS
> classes in the Universities around the city and offer a 2 minute spiel -
> with the blessing of the lecturer of course.  I expect that given the
> nature of the club and the fact it is will known around town in CS/IT
> circles it wouldn't be too hard to permission to get some airtime in front
> of the class.

I think it would be helpful if you could get some of the lecturers to
join!  After all, they're starting to become more industry focused
these days, and contact with people in industry would be highly
beneficial for them.  This is especially the case when you realise
that some lecturers are very knowlegable about certain theoretical
areas of CS and IT, but would never survive in the real world of
commercial quality production (mind you, that applies to a number of
people I know in the industry as well)  ;-)

Paul