[H-GEN] Membership forms

Greg Black gjb at yaxom.com
Sat Aug 15 01:50:05 EDT 2009

On 2009-08-15, Mark Ellem wrote:

> General convention from what I know is anybody who was previously a
> member of HUMBUG in the past is a renewing member and therefore skips
> the 3 month waiting period for voting. Therefore what you are saying
> is in essence correct about membership and voting.

OK, it's good to have this confirmed.

> Matthew and others feel you are overly critical of this current Exec
> compared to previous Exec's and without showing cause for such
> criticism. If there any issues you have with the running of HUMBUG
> currently, we would love to know.

This appears to be a question, so I'll answer it briefly.  Yes, it's true
that I have been critical of the Exec.  No, it's not true that this is a
matter of being "overly" critical -- words like that are just indications
of defensiveness, and have no real content.  With one exception, which I
will return to below, I have expressed what criticism I have in public
already, so there is no need to go over that again now with the AGM and
elections so close.

The thing I have not raised previously, but which strikes me as a real
issue, is the lack of responsiveness of the Exec (especially the roles
of President and Vice-President) to questions and concerns raised by the
members and the practice of leaving it to the least-qualified member of
the Exec to appear to be the voice of Humbug.

At any rate, it will soon be the AGM, and with that the elections and we
can see how the new Exec goes.  If there are still questions that need
answers from me, I'll attend to them then.

Greg