[H-GEN] My Book World Edition - help on setting it up

Scott Wilson siridar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 19:26:15 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Troy Piggins <troy at piggo.com> wrote:

> Bought a My Book World Edition 1TB external hard drive on the
> weekend. The documentation that comes with it is a little scant.
> Basically they say you plug it in to your network and assume you
> can immediately see it on the network. Did that but can't see it.
> I'm not sure if it needs a DHCP server for an IP address, or if
> it's default IP is a static one like some routers. Seems to have
> a web interface where you point your browser (from a computer on
> the same network) to http://mybook or something like that. Did
> that but didn't resolve the name. I'd normally use the IP
> address, but don't know what it is.
>
> I've been doing some searches, and it seems it has a small
> embedded linux OS on it, and there are a few sites for hacks to
> customise it. But I can't find anywhere how to get it's IP.
>
> I did a scan of my network's IP addresses from 192.168.0.1 to
> 192.168.0.254 and it didn't show up there anywhere. I don't know
> if it is supposed to have a SAMBA share, and if so if the
> workgroup is "workgroup", "mshome" or what. My network's
> workgroup name is something else.
>
> Any pointers in the right direction?  I'm sure there's something
> simple I'm missing, but can't see it for the life of me.
>
> --
> Troy Piggins | http://piggo.com/~troy
> RLU#415538                                                      ,-O   (o-    O

Hi Troy,

My first thought would be to check your DHCP server to see if it
recently registered a new IP address - If you have a combined
modem/router (as quite a few people have) then you'll need to go to
the configuration page of the device and check the system log.
Additionally, some devices (my printer, for instance) need to be set
up using a USB cable before they'll register themselves on the
network.

Regards,

Scott