[H-GEN] My Book World Edition - help on setting it up

Troy Piggins troy at piggo.com
Mon Nov 17 20:42:14 EST 2008

* Scott Wilson wrote :
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Troy Piggins <troy at piggo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Bought a My Book World Edition 1TB external hard drive on the
> > weekend. The documentation that comes with it is a little scant.
> > Basically they say you plug it in to your network and assume you
> > can immediately see it on the network. Did that but can't see it.
> > I'm not sure if it needs a DHCP server for an IP address, or if
> > it's default IP is a static one like some routers. Seems to have
> > a web interface where you point your browser (from a computer on
> > the same network) to http://mybook or something like that. Did
> > that but didn't resolve the name. I'd normally use the IP
> > address, but don't know what it is.
> >
> > I've been doing some searches, and it seems it has a small
> > embedded linux OS on it, and there are a few sites for hacks to
> > customise it. But I can't find anywhere how to get it's IP.
> >
> > I did a scan of my network's IP addresses from 192.168.0.1 to
> > 192.168.0.254 and it didn't show up there anywhere. I don't know
> > if it is supposed to have a SAMBA share, and if so if the
> > workgroup is "workgroup", "mshome" or what. My network's
> > workgroup name is something else.
> >
> > Any pointers in the right direction?  I'm sure there's something
> > simple I'm missing, but can't see it for the life of me.
>
> Hi Troy,
>
> My first thought would be to check your DHCP server to see if it
> recently registered a new IP address - If you have a combined
> modem/router (as quite a few people have) then you'll need to go to
> the configuration page of the device and check the system log.
> Additionally, some devices (my printer, for instance) need to be set
> up using a USB cable before they'll register themselves on the
> network.

Turns out the problem was my main DHCP server is not assigning
IPs correctly.  Most of the network is static IP, so haven't
noticed the problem til now.

I managed to get in by setting a router with DHCP server and
connecting via that network. Seems my main network's DCHP server
isn't allocating IP addresses as it should. Once in, I manually
set a static IP for the main network and all good now.

Thanks all.

--
Troy Piggins | http://piggo.com/~troy
RLU#415538                                                      ,-O   (o-    O