[H-GEN] CDROM mount problem on Open SUSE.

Anthony Irwin anthony at server101.com
Mon Jul 17 01:00:30 EDT 2006

andrew laidlaw wrote:

> Dear Anthony,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> There's only hard drive, which had the several pre-existing partitions
> and disks.  The explanation you gave about hd? is helpful, and the old
> machine would certainly have had the CDRW as the secondary ide master.
>
> As far as the /etc/fstab file is concerned, rather than your
> suggestion of:
>
> /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
>
> I have, for the corresponding line:
>
> /dev/hdc   /media/cdrecorder    subfs
> noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf 8 0 0
>
> Is that the cause of the mount problem?  Do I just manually edit the
> file, replacing that line with your suggestion?

You could try my line if you like. Just put a # symbol infront of the
suse line and it will make it a comment. Oh and change /media/cdrom0 to
/media/cdrecorder on my line.

I don't believe your fstab would allow a normal user to mount the cdrom
drive as it does not have the user option which will allow a normal user
to mount and unmount the device below is what the mount man page has to
say about the user option.

user    Allow an ordinary user to mount  the  file  system.   The
       name  of  the mounting user is written to mtab so that he
       can unmount the file system again.  This  option  implies
       the  options noexec, nosuid, and nodev (unless overridden
       by  subsequent   options,   as   in   the   option   line
       user,exec,dev,suid).

The exec option will allow you to execute binary files that are on the
cdrom.

You can also try mounting the cdrom drive as a normal user and see if
you get an error then try as root to see if you can mount as root to
make sure you can actually mount the cdrom drive with hdc. If you can
mount the cdrom as a normal user then that will confirm that it is not
an fstab issue and is probably a gnome gui issue.

To manually mount a cdrom do the following:

# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder
# cd /media/cdrecorder
# ls

Then you should see any files on the cdrom.

If the /dev/hdc does not work then you can try the other hd? options or
look at the dmesg output to see if your cdrom was detected on boot.

If you can mount cds fine as a normal user on the command prompt then
try logging out of gnome then back in. Otherwise you may need to delete
and recreate the cdrom icon in gnome (although I don't know much about
gnome so try that at your own risk).

> Finally, AI wrote:
>
> ">
> I have no idea what you mean by prepare a flatened hard disk."
>

> By "prepare a flattened hard disk" I meant delete all contents, remove
> all partitions, perform low level testing, rebuild table of non
> working clusters etc, to get as close as possible to an unformatted
> virgin hard drive --- I think I want to reinstall anyway, because I'll
> get more confident in the hard drive (windows had been complaining
> about it) by doing it this way, from the ground up.   Better to do it
> now rather than use the machine for a few months only to find out
> there's been a reliability problem all along.   The first install was
> really just a dry run to see what the yast installer would do about
> this step.
>
> I suppose  good old FDISK does most of it, but was hoping there might
> be something a little more advanced by now?
>
> Thanks again.
>

> Best regards.... andrew.
>
> *//*

 From memory suse uses the reiserfs filesystem by default if you search
for information about disk checks with reiserfs you should get some
information. I have only really dealt with ext2/3 filesystems so am not
much help in that regard.

Anyway I hope this gets you up and running.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin