[H-GEN] Problem updating modules

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Sun Jul 9 05:04:39 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've got two head-schratchers, I'll post the other one shortly.

I've got a laptop here running Debian Sarge.  The laptop actually belongs
to my flat mate who I am configuring it for.  Her desktop is also running
Debian Sarge, installed off the same CD.

Her desktop is running just fine, and I'm replicating a lot of what I've
done on it on the laptop.

I prefer to role my own Kernel and ALSA drivers and load them as modules.
I've been doing this for some time and has mostly gone pretty smoothly.

On the laptop, I can modprobe snd-via82xx and snd-pcm-oss without any
problems.  But I'd like this to happen automatically when needed, so I put
in the usual alias stuff, stuff like:

alias char-major-116 snd
options snd major=116 cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx

etc.

I put these in a file called alsa in the /etc/modutils directory, but when
I run update-modules I get a lot of errors, beginning with:

/etc/modutils/alsa: line 2: alias: char-major-116: not found
/etc/modutils/alsa: line 2: alias: snd: not found
/etc/modutils/alsa: line 3: options: command not found

and so it continues to whinge about pretty much everything throughout the
file.

I'm guessing something that comes before has put it into some state where
it's expecting different input, but have run out of ideas as to what might
be causing it or where to look.  Google gave me several more examples but
no solutions.

Any thoughts?

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html