[H-GEN] dial in server

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Fri Jan 20 21:11:06 EST 2006

Hi Johann,

Johann Kwiatkowski wrote:
>         I need to setup a dialin server ( which I know how to do that
> bit),  however if the incoming call is not for the dialin server, I'd
> like  it to be routed to a voicemail message. Is this possible? I was
> hoping there might be a way to detect a normal phone call and a
> computer dialing in.

That'd depend somewhat on the behaviour of the modems used to dial in.
If they use a calling tone (just like faxes do), then you could use a
fax switch. They pick up, see if they hear the calling done (1100 Hz
beep for 1/2 second, every 3 seconds). If so, they presume it's a fax
(or in your case a dialin modem) and if not, they make an attached phone
ring or an answering machine or whatever.

All modems do it in fax mode, however, not all do it for modem calls.
Can be tweaked with AT commands of course.

One other way could be to build an Astisk PBX with voice response menus,
have it tell the caller to press a certain digit to go to the voicemail,
and otherwise the system should timeout and connect to the dialin modem.
Probably more fussy ;-)

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Community Relations Manager, MySQL AB
Program Chair, MySQL Users Conference

MySQL Users Conference 2006 (Santa Clara CA, 24-27 April)
http://www.mysqluc.com/