[H-GEN] Print services to Windows from Unix

Bruce Campbell bc at humbug.org.au
Thu Aug 3 15:14:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, David de Groot wrote:

> On 03/08/2006, at 12:46 PM, Greg Black wrote:
>
>> My home network is entirely Unix and OSX.  I provide access to
>> the various printers via the LPD protocol on my LAN.  This all
>> Just Works for any Unix or OSX hosts that I connect.
>>
>> I have a house guest for the next 10 days who has a Windows
>> laptop and I'd like him to be able to use my printers without me
>> having to jump through too many hoops.
>
> As long as you have a listening lpd on an accessible unix machine, the
> windows box should be able to print to it.

Alternatively, you could enable print sharing on one of the Macs (which
are running CUPS under the hood), and thus, let the intruding Windows
machine simply print to the Mac (and thence to the Unix machines) using
its inbuilt print drivers (as some varients of Windows want the install CD
in order to get the lpd drivers, which your friend may not have on him).

http://members.cox.net/18james/osx_printer_sharing.html is a reasonable
HOWTO for this.

--==--
Bruce.