[H-GEN] Print services to Windows from Unix

David de Groot david-humbug at viking.org.au
Thu Aug 3 06:24:47 EDT 2006

On 03/08/2006, at 12:46 PM, Greg Black wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug
> and     ]
> [ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will
> vanish. ]
>
> My home network is entirely Unix and OSX.  I provide access to
> the various printers via the LPD protocol on my LAN.  This all
> Just Works for any Unix or OSX hosts that I connect.
>
> I have a house guest for the next 10 days who has a Windows
> laptop and I'd like him to be able to use my printers without me
> having to jump through too many hoops.
>
> If there is a way for me to do this, I'd be grateful to be
> pointed in the direction of suitable clues.  If the answer
> involves setting up grotesque pieces of infrastructure like CUPS
> (which doesn't work with my printers anyway) or Samba (for which
> I would have no other use), then that counts as "Sorry, you
> can't do that."

As long as you have a listening lpd on an accessible unix machine,
the windows box should be able to print to it.

 From memory you use the rather backward steps of creating a "Local
Printer" and then creating a "Port" and chose IP, then specify it as
lpd or something like that.

I'll try to rustle up some more specific instructions when I boot one
of these PCs back into Windows.

Dave