[H-GEN] software runs the world

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Sun Mar 20 05:19:30 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 17:31, Greg Black wrote:
> If you can't construct your messages to say what you mean, you
> can't really complain if I somehow don't manage to read your
> mind.  I'm going to continue to assume that you mean what you
> say.

Fair enough.

> > This is a fine solution where procmail is an option.  But for
> > a lot of people procmail isn't an option - as I said in my
> > reply to Rob.
>
> This is nonsense.  We are HUMBUG.  Home Unix Machine.  We are
> not Windows users or other lamers, we have our own Unix machines
> at home -- therefore, the solutions that people have proposed
> are indeed available.  And, for those of us who are newbies to
> the marvels of Unix, there is help available on these lists for
> free from very knowledgeable people.

And people who are away from their machines, and use web
email?  Anyway, whether you pronounce it nonsense or not,
the reality is people bring Windows machines to meetings.

> Instead of driving everybody completely mad with this incessant
> whining about something that you cannot change, why not actually
> do something about it?
>
> It is utterly trivial for you to set up a list that subscribes
> to the Humbug lists and fucks around with the headers in any way
> you choose.  Then you can announce your list.  And then all the
> people who can't live without this great feature can subscribe
> to your mirror instead of the Humbug lists and we can get rid of
> this idiotic meta discussion here.  It provides no added value
> to Humbug members at all.

Well I agree about the discussion no longer adding value to
Humbug members.  When the discussion turns from the issues
to personal abuse, it ceases to be of much value to anybody.

> You keep challenging me with this and I've been polite enough up
> till now to avoid responding to you.  Since you won't let it go,
> I'll make myself unequivocally clear: I know perfectly well that
> you don't know as much about these topics as you think you do.
> The content of your messages and some of the artifacts in the
> messages you send out make that abundantly clear to somebody who
> does know this stuff.  I'm not going to apologise for making
> that statement and nothing is going to change my mind about it.
>
> I do wish you'd just go and follow my advice above and set up
> your own list and then we could be done with it.

Greg, those statements are bordering on defamatory - something
I would expect from a teenage l33t on an IRC channel, not the
elder statesman you I think of you as. For gods sake calm down,
get a grip!