[H-GEN] software runs the world

David Duffy david at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Sun Mar 20 04:01:25 EST 2005

Greg Black wrote:

>On 2005-03-20, Russell Stuart wrote:
>

>>This is a fine solution where procmail is an option.  But for
>>a lot of people procmail isn't an option - as I said in my
>>reply to Rob.
>>

>This is nonsense.  We are HUMBUG.  Home Unix Machine.  We are
>not Windows users or other lamers, we have our own Unix machines
>at home -- therefore, the solutions that people have proposed
>are indeed available.  And, for those of us who are newbies to
>the marvels of Unix, there is help available on these lists for
>free from very knowledgeable people.

Oh come on. Get your head out of you know where. Not everyone who subscribes
to these Humbug lists uses Linux for their desktop machines. I certainly
don't for one.
Your "lamer" comment just shows your arrogance. I love my Windows XP
machines
but I also love my Debian servers too. Together, they're the perfect
solution for me.
Surely making these lists easier to use for non-*nix users is the way to
help grow the
*nix user base in the longer term.

>>To me it appears the best thing to do is to
>>add a Reply-To in mailing list software to incoming messages,
>>

>Instead of driving everybody completely mad with this incessant
>whining about something that you cannot change, why not actually
>do something about it?
>
>It is utterly trivial for you to set up a list that subscribes
>to the Humbug lists and fucks around with the headers in any way
>you choose.  Then you can announce your list.  And then all the
>people who can't live without this great feature can subscribe
>to your mirror instead of the Humbug lists and we can get rid of
>this idiotic meta discussion here.  It provides no added value
>to Humbug members at all.

This is the sort of tone that discourages people from getting into (dare
I say it)
"non mainstream" OS's and the like. There are plenty of friendly people
on this
list but there are also a couple of angry ones too. People should be
encouraged
to participate here without fear of being flamed for not being *nix experts.
Anyway, I said what was on my mind. Maybe I should start a blog! :-)
David...