[H-GEN] Buying an Apple Powerbook...?????

David Jericho david.jericho at aarnet.edu.au
Wed Jun 8 22:22:32 EDT 2005

Gary Curtis wrote:
> I was two weeks away from buying a 12" Powerbook.  Then Steve Jobs
> dropped his bombshell about Intel.  What is the general consensus out
> there??   Do I keep my $$$ in my pocket for a while, hoping that Apple
> will drop the prices?  Or do I just go out and buy a regular Intel notebook
> as I was intending to run Debian most of the time anyway.

Apple has come out and declared that OS X won't run on standard Wintel
hardware[1]. You'll have to buy Apple's overpriced Intel hardware that
will most probably be SGI-like, in that it is just different enough that
anything useful (re Windows or x86-64 Linux) won't run out of the box.

> If it was your $3000, what would you do...?

Put it as part payment down on a nice motorbike, or buy a better specced
Toshiba or Dell laptop if you're not in it for OS X. Otherwise, wait for
Intel powered Apple laptops. All the G4s I've seen are totally
uninspiring in the performance stakes.

[1] End of page 2,
http://news.com.com/Its+official+Apple+will+switch+to+Intel/2100-7341_3-5733756.html?tag=nl

--