[H-GEN] Buying an Apple Powerbook...?????

Nick Kwiatkowski nickolas at au1.ibm.com
Wed Jun 8 22:45:10 EDT 2005

David Jericho wrote on 09/06/2005 12:22:32 PM:

> Gary Curtis wrote:
> > I was two weeks away from buying a 12" Powerbook.  Then Steve Jobs
> > dropped his bombshell about Intel.  What is the general consensus out
> > there??   Do I keep my $$$ in my pocket for a while, hoping that Apple
> > will drop the prices?  Or do I just go out and buy a regular Intel
notebook
> > as I was intending to run Debian most of the time anyway.
>
> Apple has come out and declared that OS X won't run on standard Wintel
> hardware[1]. You'll have to buy Apple's overpriced Intel hardware that
> will most probably be SGI-like, in that it is just different enough that
> anything useful (re Windows or x86-64 Linux) won't run out of the box.

This article http://arstechnica.com/columns/mac/mac-20050607.ars/3 section
"The road ahead" has some interesting view points about the future and
running OS X on non-apporved Apple hardware.

I agree with David, Apple's pricing will not change. They are not a Dell
(ie high volume), and as has been shown not a Sun (ie makes there own
hardware). The differentator for Apple has been the OS, and their business
model would not be gear for just being a software company selling OSs for
$399- (or what ever M$ cost model is/or will turn into) on top of generic
PC platform.

Ciao,

Nik