[H-GEN] RPM installs

Menno Smits menno at freshfoo.com
Tue Jul 19 00:53:07 EDT 2005

Josh Marshall wrote:

> I'm wondering if the upgrade method has been vastly improved for the RH
> / CentOS / derivatives, as I did have an absolute nightmare trying to
> upgrade my Redhat 6.1 server to 6.3, then never tried an upgrade since,
> just re-installed everything from scratch each time.
>
> Has yum resolved those issues?

Yes it has. Upgrading from FC2->FC3, FC3->FC4, FC2->FC4 with Yum is
simple. I have done this a few times myself with success.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/misc/fc2-fc3-update-with-yum.txt

There are problems doing this from older Redhat releases although it is
possible with a bit of messing around. I know of people who have gone
from RH9 to FC3.

> Most of the servers I administer are Debian Woody, I will be looking at
> upgrading them to Sarge sometime in the future. Is RHEL / CentOS more
> "stable" than Debian "Stable" or just mainly better for those
> non-Opensource apps such as the big databases / Lotus Notes kinda things
> as they are "supported" by the vendor?

I haven't used Centos/RHEL much so I can't really about this. I know at
least one major US edu organisation uses Centos for their major servers.

Menno