[H-GEN] RPM installs

Josh Marshall josh at worldhosting.org
Mon Jul 18 23:15:37 EDT 2005

Ronald Bradford wrote:

>> [1] I wouldn't advocate Fedora either. The 5 year life cycle on RHEL is
>> really quite labour saving.
>>

> Since you brought this up David, I would not use Fedora, I use
> CentOS.  For all those that have no idea what it is,
> http://www.centos.org/

After having switched to Debian from Redhat years ago, one of the most
important things to me was easy of upgrade from one release to the next
(and yes I do have servers that were upgraded from Potato to Woody to
Sarge quite successfully)

I'm wondering if the upgrade method has been vastly improved for the RH
/ CentOS / derivatives, as I did have an absolute nightmare trying to
upgrade my Redhat 6.1 server to 6.3, then never tried an upgrade since,
just re-installed everything from scratch each time.

Has yum resolved those issues?

Most of the servers I administer are Debian Woody, I will be looking at
upgrading them to Sarge sometime in the future. Is RHEL / CentOS more
"stable" than Debian "Stable" or just mainly better for those
non-Opensource apps such as the big databases / Lotus Notes kinda things
as they are "supported" by the vendor?

Flames aside please, I don't want to be part of starting a distro-flame
war, but I would like a few opinions shared.

Josh.