[H-GEN] Ubuntu CDs

Stephen Thorne stephen.thorne at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 19:47:17 EST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:38:49 +1000, Harry Phillips <harry at tux.com.au> wrote:
> I heard about Ubuntu from a guy I got to know from Perth. When I tried
> it out I was very impressed. Since it was at version 4.1 and there was a
> very large community and heaps of information about it I assumed that
> somehow this great distro had slipped under my radar.
>
> It confused me to read that it was only released last October. Since it
> is so easy to use I would recommend it to first time users, since it is
> based on Debian I use it for my servers.

I've been hearing about it second hand for a while, my wife installed
it the other day on her new work machine and it worked quite well[1].

I tend to ignore new distributions because they're not Debian, but it
sounds like ubuntu (which is based on debian's sid branch + fiddling)
might be a winner in some situations. Especially desktops.

I probably wouldn't use it for any servers however ;)

Regards,
Stephen Thorne

[1] Having installed linux several times, she remarked during a
windows xp installation, "This is WINDOWS, isn't it supposed to JUST
WORK!?". People don't expect linux installations to go flawlessly, or
work the first time, which is why it's so nice when they do.