[H-GEN] Anti-unix changes in Suncorp-Metway's updated banking TOS

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Sat Jan 22 10:36:35 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 20:10 +1000, Christopher Biggs wrote:
> 'Suitable Software' has been redefined in the updated terms-of-service
> as: MSIE 5.5 or later or Netscape 6.1 or later on MS-Windows
> 95,98,2000, or XP, along with an "approved" anti-virus suite.

I am not a Suncorp customer (and probably never will be) but I had a
quick look and can't find these terms you talk about.

Is it only for customers as they login or is it available publicly? I
see this page:
http://suncorp.com.au/suncorp/legal/disclaimer.html#14

It gives recommendations but does not stipulate that you *must* use IE
etc.

Ok, just found it, Clause 23.26:
https://internetbanking.suncorpmetway.com.au/sml/terms.asp

There is a big difference between recommended and required. It doesn't
even say which AV products are "approved by us", maybe *nix and Mac's
qualify since they are inherently make your computer immune to
viruses :)

I am not a lawyer but since they don't give a list of the AV products
*or* stipulate that you must keep the AV product up-to-date they
probably don't have a leg to stand on.

If they have to stipulate the exact update of the AV product and also
give 30 days notice then they have their work cut out for them, the TOS
would change daily and always be a month out of date.

--
Regards,
Harry