[H-GEN] Debian proxy for Unreal Tournament game

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Sun Jan 16 17:37:12 EST 2005

Sandra Mansell wrote:
> That might not be the only port required though, and several
> modifications of your firewall script might be necessary. I've never had
> much luck with getting games working from behind our router box for
> hosting purposes, but I've had quite a bit of success playing on servers
> where the host isn't also behind a firewall.

I've hosted games of various sorts from a machine behind a NAT, both
when that NAT is Linux and when that NAT is Linux-hidden-in-a-router.
You need to forward traffic connecting to the NAT device through to the
machine running the service.  Same principle as running a web, ssh or
any other kind of service behind a NAT device.

The quickest way to do it on a linux host is to run redir(1).  This only
works for TCP though, so you'll have to mess around with iptables in
some manner I'm not entirely sure of to get it to work for UDP.

--
bje