[H-GEN] Debian proxy for Unreal Tournament game

Sandra Mansell fakungabubu at internode.on.net
Sun Jan 16 03:45:20 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 04:53:14PM +1000, David Duffy wrote:
> I'd used to have a transparent proxy at home on my Debian box but
> now that I'm using a proxy server, the kids Unreal Tournament game
> can no longer connect. I've edited the game's ini file as per the various
> web sites to specify the proxy server address and port number but it
> still doesn't connect. There's a reference to the game using UDP ports
> (7777 seems to be one of them) but I'm not sure how to add that into
> the firewall rules. Any suggestions please?

Assuming you're using iptables for NAT, something like this might work:

## Unreal Tournament going to internal box

#$IPTABLES -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $EXTIF -p udp --dport 7777 -j DNAT
--to 192.168.0.100

Where $EXTIF is the name of your external interface (or in the case of a
script like mine, it's specified at the top of the script to make
editing easier). Don't forget to take the # off the front of the line
and get the entire command on one line (email client wraps it).

That might not be the only port required though, and several
modifications of your firewall script might be necessary. I've never had
much luck with getting games working from behind our router box for
hosting purposes, but I've had quite a bit of success playing on servers
where the host isn't also behind a firewall.

HTH,

Sandra.
--
http://www.users.on.net/ickus/
JabberID: silne at jabber.org.au
"Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head."
  -- Green shirt Crichton, "Thanks For Sharing"
	-- Farscape season 3 episode 7