[H-GEN] Starting a new service at boot time in Solaris 10

Paul Cornford pccor at tpg.com.au
Fri Dec 23 07:57:21 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 19:23, McBofh wrote:
> Ben Fowler wrote:
> > Paul Cornford wrote:
> >> I am new to Solaris (10) and I cannot seem to start my firewall (ipf) at
> >> boot time. I have placed the rules in /etc/ipf/ipf.conf but contrary to
> >> the man page ipf doesn't start at boot time. "ipf -f /etc/ipf/ipf.conf"
> >> works fine on the command line so the rules are fine and so is the conf
> >> file.
> >> So I have prepared my own script and placed it in /etc/init.d/ as well
> >> as links in rc0.d, rc1.d, rc2.d, rc3.d and rcS.d. I know I probably
> >> don't need ipf running at all these run levels but so far nothing has
> >> worked. Can anyone help me on this?
> > I have little practical experience with Solaris 10 (little time for
> > playing with new toys these days :-( ), however I know that Solaris 10
> > introduces a new, different and arguably better way of handling services.
> > http://sysunconfig.net/unixtips/solaris.html#smf
>
> Hi Paul,
> (sorry for the delay in replying - been swamped getting stuff committed
> at work before end of year shutdowns)
>
> Ben is correct, Sun introduced the Service Management Framework with
> Solaris 10 - both new and revolutionary :)
>
> No doubt your googling etc has found the answer by now. For the benefit
> of others on this list what you need to do is run (as root)
>

> #  svcadm enable svc:/network/ipfilter:default
>

> to enable the ipf service both immediately and on subsequent boots.

Thanks James. Yes I eventually discovered it although I still don't get
the FMRI bit. "svcadm enable ipfilter" seems to work just as well. I am
still reading about it though.

> If you have any other Solaris-y questions please don't hesitate to ask.
> It's the OS I deal with as my day job so there's a fair amount I'm
> either directly familiar with or will know where to start looking for
> answers to.

Yes, just a few but nothing so pressing as the JDS prob. Killing bonobo
and then relogging in seemed to fix it, although still annoying. I
notice that 'File Associations' doesn't seem to work, e.g., getting
*.sxw's to open in OpenOffice 2.0 instead of StarOffice 7. Also wants to
open my *.odt files with unzip. The CD burner in nautilus doesn't seem
to work terribly well either, so I use the command line app. Otherwise I
enjoy working in it.

Regards,

Paul Cornford.
--
[I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy]