[H-GEN] Starting a new service at boot time in Solaris 10

McBofh McBofh at jmcp.id.au
Fri Dec 23 04:23:26 EST 2005

Ben Fowler wrote:
> Paul Cornford wrote:
>> I am new to Solaris (10) and I cannot seem to start my firewall (ipf) at
>> boot time. I have placed the rules in /etc/ipf/ipf.conf but contrary to
>> the man page ipf doesn't start at boot time. "ipf -f /etc/ipf/ipf.conf"
>> works fine on the command line so the rules are fine and so is the conf
>> file.
>> So I have prepared my own script and placed it in /etc/init.d/ as well
>> as links in rc0.d, rc1.d, rc2.d, rc3.d and rcS.d. I know I probably
>> don't need ipf running at all these run levels but so far nothing has
>> worked. Can anyone help me on this?
> I have little practical experience with Solaris 10 (little time for
> playing with new toys these days :-( ), however I know that Solaris 10
> introduces a new, different and arguably better way of handling services.
> http://sysunconfig.net/unixtips/solaris.html#smf

Hi Paul,
(sorry for the delay in replying - been swamped getting stuff committed
at work before end of year shutdowns)

Ben is correct, Sun introduced the Service Management Framework with
Solaris 10 - both new and revolutionary :)

No doubt your googling etc has found the answer by now. For the benefit
of others on this list what you need to do is run (as root)

#  svcadm enable svc:/network/ipfilter:default

to enable the ipf service both immediately and on subsequent boots.

If you have any other Solaris-y questions please don't hesitate to ask.
It's the OS I deal with as my day job so there's a fair amount I'm
either directly familiar with or will know where to start looking for
answers to.

best regards,
James C. McPherson