[H-GEN] SpamAssassin vs DSPAM

Adrian Sutton adrian at symphonious.net
Tue Dec 13 20:34:43 EST 2005

> SpamAssassin is annoyingly slow, and soaks up too much of my ram.  I
> have heard good things about DSPAM, and I am considering changing over
> to it.  Does anybody have any good or bad experiences with either they
> would like to share?

I've recently switched from SpamAssassin to DSPAM for no real reason
other than DSPAM was available on the upstream server and spam
assassin on my local IMAP server wasn't available while I was
moving.  DSPAM is all but useless until you feed it about 2400 non-
spam messages as it is very conservative until it's learnt what your
real email looks like.  After hitting that mark, I immediately saw an
improvement and now it seems to have spam under control about as well
as SpamAssassin did.

I can't really see a big difference between either of them to be
honest.  DSPAM provides a web based interface for reviewing the spam
it's caught which I'm starting to appreciate but you can get it to
just tag messages and filter them with procmail or whatever else
you'd like.

As I understand it DSPAM is much lighter on resource requirements
than SpamAssassin but I couldn't say for sure since I'm running them
on very different boxes - both of which are seriously underpowered
and with very limited RAM but only serving my personal email needs.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.