[H-GEN] Generating Powerpoint presentations under Unix

Adrian Sutton adrian at symphonious.net
Thu Aug 11 22:19:07 EDT 2005

On 12/08/2005, at 11:53 AM, ben.carlyle at invensys.com wrote:
> I too have used openoffice impress in both directions with reasonable
> success. Unfortunately I didn't apply any particularly taxing
> presentations to either, but basic text and images with animation
> seemed
> to work well enough. I last tried this some time ago and seem to
> recall
> some font issues between the two platforms that may cause visual
> differences... and I think some of the default bullet points
> changed from
> circles to squares or vice versa. On the whole, though, the
> translation
> seemed functional.

It is essential that however you create the presentation, that you
test it on the equipment you will be using while you still have
plenty of time to adjust your slides.  PowerPoint is actually really
bad at preserving display attributes between different versions of
PowerPoint, different screen resolutions and different OS's so adding
in a non-powerpoint program won't help.

Also, don't use non-US-ASCII characters, it will almost certainly end
badly.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.