[H-GEN] Generating Powerpoint presentations under Unix

ben.carlyle at invensys.com ben.carlyle at invensys.com
Thu Aug 11 21:53:01 EDT 2005

Rod Hurford <rod.hurford at gmail.com>
Sent by: general-bounces at lists.humbug.org.au
11/08/2005 10:35 PM

        To:     Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net>
        cc:     general at lists.humbug.org.au
        Subject:        Re: [H-GEN] Generating Powerpoint presentations under Unix

> On 8/11/05, Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> wrote:
> > I'm looking for software that runs under Unix variants that can
> > generate Powerpoint presentations (suitable to be displayed by
> > Windows machines).
> Open Office Impress is supposed to be comparable. I'm not sure if all
> of the "features" of Powerpoint are supported but certainly the basics
> seem to be there. I've not had too many problems _viewing_ powerpoint
> presentations with it (version 1.1.3). I haven't tried the other way
> though.

I too have used openoffice impress in both directions with reasonable
success. Unfortunately I didn't apply any particularly taxing
presentations to either, but basic text and images with animation seemed
to work well enough. I last tried this some time ago and seem to recall
some font issues between the two platforms that may cause visual
differences... and I think some of the default bullet points changed from
circles to squares or vice versa. On the whole, though, the translation
seemed functional.

Benjamin.