[H-GEN] Making my Linux to windows LAN work.

Christopher LeMoyne christopher_lemoyne at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 10 06:10:27 EDT 2005

Russell Mathews wrote:

> Hi General Humbug,
>
> I intend to put a test website up under var/www/html/ and see if I can
> run it from Linux then from my other HP Windows box.   [The windows
> box (and my D-link wireless modem/router) is supplied by my PhD
> University.]  I had a Canon flatbed scanner but could not make it work
> under Linux.  It works under Windows so I am tending to use my Windows
> box.
>
> Once I have the website working from here under var/www/html/, I will
> consider setting my router, so the website can be accessed from the web.
>
> I want to make my LAN work.  I have not been able, despite my trials,
> to make my LAN work.  I think I need Samba on Linux.  I believe I have
> Samba installed under Linux.
>
> I am thinking I could load up my website under /var/www/html using
> Mozilla, but I would have to be able to have my browser on Windows box
> see my /html/ directory under FC4.
>
> My Linux box is dual boot, but I have not even been able to make the
> LAN work windows to windows.   I feel I have to take small steps to
> progress my ambition.  I hope I can receive some assistance.  I want
> to learn a lot. Thanks.

Ok, lets start with the basics:
1. Are you able to browse the internet on both the Windows and Linux
machine?  (This tells me whether your cabling and TCP/IP settings are
all correct, post back to the list what your results are.)
2. Your Linux box needs an IP.  If you can successfully browse the
internet on the Linux machine in step 1, then you have a valid IP.  To
find out what it is, do a 'ifconfig -a' on the Linux box, and post the
output here (when typing the command into the Linux terminal, don't use
the 'quotes' around the command).
3. Confirm Apache is running by doing a 'ps ax | grep -i httpd' and then
post the results here.
4. Your website, if you have apache running, will be shared as
http://<linux_IP> (this is the IP listed in the output of ifconfig -a
from step 2), which is what you need to put in the browser on the PC to
get to it.  If you haven't put your html files in there yet, there
should be some default html files from the Apache install.  Post to the
list what the contents of your website look like.

Regards,
Christopher