[H-GEN] Software Freedom Day - Sept 10th

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Mon Aug 8 21:38:19 EDT 2005

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Mark Ellem wrote:
>>I'd definately be up to manning some kind of stall for Software Freedom Day.
> Yes I'd up for that.  Sandra's idea of a computer (or even general market)
> would be great.  Although many people have heard of Linux/OSS these days
> many still don't know what it is.  I bet if we had a sign saying "Free
> Software" many people would approach us asking us if we were giving away
> warez :)  We would want literature about OSS licencing on hand.

So, for a stall, we'd need:

   a) to decide where/when to have it
        - Brunswick St Markets apparently happen on Saturdays, and
          seem like they'd have half a chance of attracting the
          right people
        - odds on this costs money
   b) organise a table, some sort of shade, perhaps access to power
   c) get some CDs
        - Ubuntu are supposed to be providing free CDs for SFD stands
        - is it worth looking at special things like audio software?
        - are there other CDs we'd like to hand out, or have ready to
          burn, or is that too much bother?
   d) get some pamphlets
        - what sort of info should be on them?
        - need to write them up
        - need to print them
        - need to fold them
   e) get, say, half a dozen people who'd like to stand around and
      hand out stuff and talk to people signed up

>>Handing out CD's on street corners would be a little annoying to passers
>>by. I dislike people hassling me while I walk down the street and I
>>wouldn't do it to other people.
> Agreed.  A stall is a better idea.  I prefer this to an installfest, as
> installfests only get in touch with people who are already somewhat
> interested and I think we need to touch the wider community at this point,
> especially on Software Freedom Day.

An installfest would also require finding a room to do it, since we
don't have the HUMBUG room. OTOH, we could hand out fliers for regular
HUMBUG meetings where people can come along and get help with problems.
The Ubuntu LiveCDs probably make most of the "installfest" issues kinda
unnecessary anyway.

Should we have some sort of dinner event? Sushi or mexican or indian or
teppanyaki or pizza or something maybe? For existing HUMBUGgers only or
open invitation (with tickets at the stall, eg)?

Cheers,
aj