[H-GEN] Software Freedom Day - Sept 10th

Sandra Mansell fakungabubu at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 18:35:34 EDT 2005

Mark Ellem wrote:

>An installfest at HUMBUG would be a great idea. Give it some advertising to
>generate interest and it could be a good event for HUMBUG, FOSS etc.

Yup. I participated in the one we did several years ago and it was much
fun. Met some nice people who had brought their systems along and
learned a lot. Still got the RedHat cap I got on the day :-)

>I'd definately be up to manning some kind of stall for Software Freedom Day.
>Setting up at a market or other public place with CD's, literature and some
>posters/signage would be fantastic and would do a lot of good for promotion
>of FOSS.

Oh it's probably a Saturday isn't it. I work Saturdays now (0700-1700)
so I probably won't be able to attend anything (unless we do a market
stall on a Sunday -- Sunday computer market would probably be perfect
for this and they might let us have the table cheap because we wouldn't
actually be selling anything). I would like to help out though so if
there's anything I can do without having to actually show up on the
Saturday I could put in an hour or two.

>Handing out CD's on street corners would be a little annoying to passers by. I
>dislike people hassling me while I walk down the street and I wouldn't do it
>to other people.

I'm down with that one too. A stall with signs like "Free Software" or
"Free CDs" or something might be better and people can approach us.

Sandra.

fakungabubu at gmail.com
http://photoalbumerator.blogspot.com/
McGee: Are you wishing you were a computer geek?
Tony: I'd rather be homeless than be you, probie.
   -- NCIS "Dopplegänger" season 2 episode 12