[H-GEN] Software Freedom Day - Sept 10th

Mark Ellem mark at colmiga.org
Sun Aug 7 09:42:36 EDT 2005

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 04:57 pm, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Just over a month before this happens, so what're we doing?
>
> 10th Sept is a HUMBUG weekend, but there's no meeting planned (due to
> exams, I guess), so what'll we do instead? We could try:
>
>    * Handing out cds at the Brunswick St markets or just on the street
>    * Doing something to help a school/community group use Linux/etc
>    * Having an installfest or some talks/traning-type things
>    * Having a BBQ lunch or a dinner or a party
>    * Some sort of contest?
>    * ...?

An installfest at HUMBUG would be a great idea. Give it some advertising to
generate interest and it could be a good event for HUMBUG, FOSS etc.

I'd definately be up to manning some kind of stall for Software Freedom Day.
Setting up at a market or other public place with CD's, literature and some
posters/signage would be fantastic and would do a lot of good for promotion
of FOSS.

Handing out CD's on street corners would be a little annoying to passers by. I
dislike people hassling me while I walk down the street and I wouldn't do it
to other people.

Mark.